Emma Walmsley has just been appointed as the new CEO of GSK. How ready are you to take the next leap forward in your career? Conducting an honest self-appraisal now means that you will be more likely to achieve your future career goals. One of the biggest de-railers for women is confidence – or lack of it! Even Emma Walmsley will have her moments when she feels less confident but you can bet your bottom dollar no-one around her will be able to tell.
So to build your own confidence – here are some tips;
- Know what you want and what’s really important to you
- Develop a calm and focussed approach when tackling challenging situations and people
- Have the ability to be optimistic and positive (not blindly so!)
- Acknowledge what you are good at and continue to develop this
- Be flexible and adapt your behaviour according to circumstance
Be kind to yourself and remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day – give yourself time and space to improve. Take small, manageable steps and leave the giant leaps for mankind to astronauts!
Gillian Morley is a Partner in Attain Development who have a passion for increasing the number of women in Board and Senior Management positions.